Bayside HOME RDI HOME  

Minutes of the Board Meeting of the
Bayside Condominiums Association of Brevard, Inc.
Held Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:30 pm. Board members present: President Craig Ponsonby, VP Denny Dettro, Secretary Gail Burch, Treasurer Bob Behling and Director John Roberts. Michelle Davis and Ted Manna from RDI were also present. Twenty owners attended.

Proof of Notice of Meeting: Craig certified that the agendas were posted on the four bulletin boards more than 48 hours before the meeting and RDI emailed to owners.

Approval of Minutes: Gail motioned to approve the minutes of the August 30th board meeting as posted on the website. Denny seconded, all in favor.

Treasurer’s Report: Bob reported that through September, we have had about $40K in hurricane damage to the elevators. These elevator repair costs have been submitted to the “mechanical” insurance policy, which has a $5K per incident deductible, but we had to pay for these costs up front to get the elevators working. The balance of hurricane damage will be submitted under the property/ hurricane policy, which has a percentage deductible.
The unit with a large balance is again under contract and we hope it closes soon with all costs being paid in full to the association at closing. No adjusters have been on property yet. Bob stated that there will have to be a special assessment, amount unknown yet. We are waiting on insurance proceeds before discussing an assessment, but all unit owner personal insurance policies have a $2K loss assessment reimbursement to the owner for an association’s special assessment. The draft 2018 budget is being worked on. The board will have to approve it to mail out to owners. Then a final approval meeting can be scheduled in early November. The Association is about $2,000 under budget year to date.
The ThyssenKrupp representative called on the conference line to discuss the needed parts to get the elevators working properly again. The board all agreed after understanding the scope of the work. “A” & “C” buildings are working as of today, but “B” still needs more work.

New Business:
Hurricane Irma Debrief:
Along with elevator damage, there was roof damage, some pump and electrical damages, and a lot of landscaping damage.

Elevators: Discussed above

Leak in Building B “01” Units: A roof leak impacted the whole stack-a roof vent leak after the hurricane. Ted finally figured it out and brought in a roofer to make the repair. Mike will make the drywall repairs.

Soffit: - will be discussed later.

Overflow of Drain B202: Ted stated that this is still a work in progress. The sink drain overflowed when power and water came back on. It ruined the kitchen, bathrooms, and some damage in bedrooms. Owner has called in remediation company.

Crack & Phantom Leak C202: Water did drip through cracks in foyer ceiling during hurricane, and there is a crack in the floor of C302. We have not been able to replicate it again yet.

Building “B” Roof: Water is trapped between membrane and foam after the hurricane. Ted would like to get a roof engineer in to inspect and have moisture check done.

Townhome Flooding & Roof Leaks: A couple townhomes had leaks during the hurricane, and we need a roofer to make small repairs, but no roofers are coming out for small damage yet. Craig walked the back yards of townhomes and feels some drain re-working could help the flooding issue. Craig also left a message for BussenMayer Engineers, who specialize in drains and roads.

Pool Equipment Shed Damage/Electrical Box Covers: The new pool equipment shed was destroyed and some electrical boxes on walls and in grass were damaged.

Insurance Claim: As noted above, claims have been filed and we are waiting on the field adjuster.

Potable Water Pumps: Two residents felt these must be turned off before water was shut off before the hurricane. Ted researched and called in a plumber who said these booster pumps have been shut off for years, so this is a moot point and no extra work is needed. We could have the pumps removed to open the rooms for more storage. There was also discussion about a pump to remove water from the elevator pits. Ted will look into this, but we do have a company to pump out the hurricane water. Some residents complained about low pressure now, but there is still a problem with city of Cocoa water lines. We lost a grate over the fountain pump overflow drain. Ted will get a cost from fountain company. Gail also has a vendor who could make a new grate.

ATP – Renewal of Contract for Monitoring Alarms & Fire Sprinklers/Pump: The board was still unsure of what is included, so Craig will discuss this with Moices.

Old Business:
Spectrum Contract Status:
Our rep asked for all changes to be added in redline to their contract. Seth did turn it around quickly, and we are waiting on Spectrum’s final changes or approval.

Soffit Project Status: Melissa from Existing Structures Engineering allowed vendors to extend bid time to this week, due to the hurricane. She received only two bids, and recommended a gutter company they have used before, but are waiting on their final price.

Lobby Painting Status: Karen Dettro stated that the artist, Robin Maus, has been working weekends to get “A” completed. It looks beautiful. “B” will be started soon.

A306 Storm Door: Owner requested approval to install a storm door similar to neighbor’s. He submitted all required paperwork. Craig motioned to approve the request, Gail seconded, all in favor.

Elevator Flooring: With the hurricane costs, the board agreed to place a hold on contractor installing tile and a board member will look into options at Purcell’s.

Comments from Owners: A resident asked when the high rise roofs would be replaced. Craig said we are planning on starting with one building per year, in 3 years. She felt it needed to be sooner.
A resident asked why emergency lights in the stairwells weren’t working after the hurricane. This had come up earlier, so Ted had asked the lighting company rep about it. The emergency lights are powered by a battery that gives 90 minutes of light for people to get out in a power outage. After 90 minutes, if power isn’t returned, they go off. They will not work again until the power is returned to service and they re-charge. A resident felt there should be lighting at all times, but these are all that are offered unless you have a back-up generator on site, which the high-rises do not have.

Hurricane / Emergency Plan Committee: A resident asked when this committee would be started. Two people from this meeting offered to serve. Denny was asked to oversee it. He will set up a meeting soon. The owner of 808 said she also had damage from drainage.

2018 Budget Discussion: Bob and Michelle have worked on the budget, and Bob got the monthly fee down to $480 per unit per month. Bob motioned to approve this for mailing after confirming the ATP contract costs. Gail seconded, all in favor. Al has asked for funds to replace sod, but will work with US Lawns to modify the fertilization contract for 2018 and lower services by one. Al also asked to oversee the fountain company. It was noted that landscaping is not insured by any companies.

Set Next Meeting: The next Board meeting will be held on November 8th at 4:30 pm to discuss and approve a 2018 budget. The draft budget prepared by Bob and management will be mailed to all owners so they can ask questions before the final budget is approved. Owners will be asked to vote on having a CPA audit or review.

Adjournment: There being no further business to transact, the meeting adjourned at 6:20 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Michelle Davis, CMCA, AMS, CAM #17226
Reconcilable Differences