Back to Garrett's Run Home Page
RDI  HOME

Garrett’s Run Condominium Association
Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting
Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Call to Order/Establish Quorum of Directors: President Jim Hamilton called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm in the clubhouse at 7900 Greenboro Drive. In attendance: Treasurer Norm Young, Secretary Ken Snella, and Director Alicia Ponegalek. Vice President Elvis Malena was absent. A quorum was established. Lynn Hiott with Reconcilable Differences was present. Unit owners in attendance were: Kathy Griffith, Josephine McLean, Paul and Nancy Pelletier, Lynne and Stan Arthur, Rosemary Gleason, Rima and Angelo Laviano, Sue Kelly, Barbara Snella, Theresa Vazquez, Judy Schneider, Rita Valentino, Peter and Pat Engel, and Kathleen Fassler. 

Approval of the Board Meeting Minutes of February 23rd: Norm made a motion to approve the Board meeting minutes of February 23rd, Ken seconded, and all were in favor. Lynn stated that the approved minutes would be posted on the website. 

Financial/Collections: Lynn reported the following: As of February 29, 2016, the operating account at Sunrise Bank showed a balance of $50,546, but of that amount $23,110 was from prepaid assessments, leaving a balance of $27,436. There is $202,317 in the Reserve Accounts for future repairs. Accounts Receivable are at $35,738 with only 3 owners still owing for part of the 2015 Special Assessment. The current profit and loss statement shows the association over budget by $1,320. 

Collections: Unit 105 is still in litigation, owing approximately $12,800 to date. Unit 918 has closed, still awaiting final payment on this account. 
The last unit still in collections is unit 709, and this unit owes about $9,500. We have heard was that the mother was putting this unit on the market to sell, so when the unit sells, they will have to pay everything that is owed to date. The remaining units are slow payers and are working on getting caught up. 

Unfinished Business: 

  • Building Painting: Anchor Painting is continuing to work on the clubhouse. Wood repairs are more than originally thought, but repairs and then painting should be completed by early next week. Painting of building 600 should begin April 4th for prepping and then painting. 
  • Building 600, 800, 500 Cosmetic Bands update: Mike’s Masonry is moving right along with repairs. 
  • Asphalt Update-Burton Striping finished the asphalting in front of building 9, 7, and 8. Tomorrow he will begin in front of buildings 4, 5, 3, and 2. Jim reported that notices were posted as reminders for vehicles to be moved or they would be towed. Friday and Saturday, they will be completing in front of the 100 building and office area. Things are looking great so far with this work. Lynn reported that many are asking about Handicap parking spaces. She stated that the handicap signs will eventually all be removed. The areas where there are ramps, handicap spots are being placed around the ramp area on either side of the ramps. Some handicap spaces are going away because with no ramp, it does not justify as a handicap parking area. It was reiterated that anyone with a handicap placard can park their vehicle anywhere on the property even in decal areas. If the handicap placard is visible, hanging on the mirror or on their license tag area, these vehicles don’t have to only park in handicap locations, they can park in decal spaces in front of the buildings. Their vehicles will not be towed even if they don’t have a decal for Garrett’s Run. 
  • Annual Meeting and BBQ-Lynn reported that the Annual Meeting will be held on Saturday, April 2nd at 10 am. Immediately following the annual meeting, there will be a BBQ outside and Brighthouse is donating the hamburgers, hotdogs, buns, sodas, water, and chips. There will also be vending tables in the back of the room and will be available to all participants. There will be a massage table, Brighthouse, security cameras, and Servpro represented. There is a signup sheet in the clubhouse for those who will attend to let us know what covered dish they will bring and to help gauge how many will attend. We need this in order to gather the needed supplies for the party. Regarding annual meeting packages that were mailed, there was an issue with one of the candidate’s informational pages not being clear enough to read. After a discussion with the Board, they agreed to seek legal counsel opinion on what to do regarding this. He suggested that we resend the candidate forms to all members and place a color copy of the entire package on the website. Lynn asked Peter if he wanted to type his informational sheet for the second mailing and he agreed. Norm made the motion to allow Peter to type his candidate form up and re-mail all candidate forms to the membership and post color copies on the website. Alicia seconded this motion, and all were in favor. Lynn will get these mailed out by the end of this week. 
New Business: 
  • Fire Alarm Monitoring: Tabled for further information. 
  • Stairwell Contracts: Tabled for further information. 
Manager Report: Lynn reported that the 2015 Financial Review package was returned in draft mode. She will send it to Norm and will schedule a time to review the package with him. Once the treasurer approves, final reports will be available to any member who requests one. The final CPA review for 2015 will be posted on the website by the end of March. 

Lynn reported that an owner in the 800 building had all of her windows replaced. During the replacement, the owner contacted Lynn to look at damage around the windows in 2 locations. She wasn’t sure if it was due to years of leaking water or old termite damage. Management felt that it would not be cost-efficient to hire a different contractor to make the wood repairs, so the unit owner’s contractor was asked to complete the work and supply a bill for the association’s portion. The owner is seeking reimbursement in the amount of $750. Norm made the motion to approve reimbursing $750 for the wood repair. Alicia seconded, and all were in favor. Management reminded owners that most of the windows in this community are well over 30 years old and have never been replaced. She urged owners to consider replacing their windows in the upcoming months so that leaking would get resolved. The association is repairing the cosmetic boards around the buildings and painting the buildings to help waterproof them, so the only thing left to resolve leaks is replacing windows. 

Owner Input: A resident said that the seal coating on the asphalt has petroleum in it, and the black gunk can be tracked into owner’s homes and cars. Management agreed to post a notice on the bulletin board warning everyone about this petroleum possibly being tracked into their homes.

Set Next Board Meeting: The next meeting is the Annual Meeting, which will be Saturday, April 2nd at 10 am. Immediately following will be the organizational meeting to define Board and officer positions. 

Adjournment: There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 6:35 pm by Jim Hamilton. Respectfully 

Submitted, Lynn Hiott, CAM #35322
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.