Back to Garrett's Run Home Page
RDI  HOME
Garrett’s Run Condominium Association 
Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
 
Call to Order/Establish Quorum of Directors: President Kathie Heisey called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm in the clubhouse at 7900 Greenboro Drive. Board Members present were: Vice President Peter Engel, Treasurer Hattie Martin and Director Al Fassler.  Secretary Marion Geiger was absent.  A quorum was established.  Lynn Hiott with Reconcilable Differences was present. Unit owners in attendance were: Rima & Angelo Laviano, Cathy Griffith, Kathleen Fassler, Patricia Engel, Ken Snella, and Francis Grady.

Approval of the Board Meeting Minutes of February 22, 2012: Peter made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Al seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice. Lynn stated that the minutes would be posted to the website at www.reconcilabledifferences.net. 

Financial Report:

  •  Hattie Martin reported that as of February 29, the operating account at Sunrise bank showed a balance of $ 41,124.39. Sunrise reserve balance was $ 224,364.65, for a total of $265,489.04. Our A/R is $ 90,372.77 with 4 units that have not paid in over four years for a total of $56,700. Prepaid assessments are $21,090.00. Post February 29 payment has been received for two outstanding accounts for $14,426, which brings the A/R down to $75,846. We have received the credit reimbursement from Tamko for our roofs that have been completed to date for $18, 681.56. There are 2 receivable accounts that have been delinquent since mid 2007. One unit the bank has taken title to but we have not been paid in full yet, another account is owing $6154, which the association has taken title to and entered into a rental lease and in approximately 2 years with them paying current assessments and little towards outstanding, the amount will be paid in full within 2 years.  Peter made the motion to accept the treasure’s financial reports, Al seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote.


Unfinished Business:

  • Collections/Legal Update: Lynn reported that she had met with C&M for over 3.5 hours the day before going through all the accounts one by one. Lynn stated that the reason behind most of the accounts being quite delayed is when C&M opened the accounts they only opened them as a “mortgage foreclosure” and therefore would only “monitor” them and not begin collection accounts where the association foreclosed. This is no longer the story; all accounts have been opened as association foreclosures. Prior management approved the monitoring only. She also reported that on the two accounts where money was received there was $9200 that had to be written off as bad debt as the units qualified for a statutory reduction and the association was only entitled to 12 months or 1% of past assessments. Lynn did ask for approval on one account that was now 4 months behind in assessments to send to the new attorney Larsen to begin collections. Peter made the motion to send account 306 to Larsen to start foreclosure proceedings. Hattie seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote. Peter asked Lynn to obtain dates of when the liens had to be re-recorded as they were only good for one year. Lynn agreed to get this and stated that she had just signed for unit 603 to continue for another year. Lynn explained to the Board that Larsen and Associates has a website that they can at any time check on the status of any of the collection accounts. Lynn will forward them the password to retrieve this information. Peter asked Lynn about unit 902 and she reported that it was scheduled for courthouse sale for April 18th and would report on this at the next meeting. 
  • Audit Update: Lynn reported that her and Hattie had met with the auditors from Gerstle, Rosen & Goldenberg, PA and went through all the financial records for 2011. They have begun their task of completing the audit and should have a draft version ready before the next meeting. Peter requested that the CPA meet with the Board to explain the audit and then possibly with the owners. Lynn stated that she would work on this for the next meeting. 
  • Re-Roofing Update: Lynn reported that the 500 and 700 buildings have been completed and the wind mitigation forms are completed as well and are available on the website. The 400 building is scheduled to be completed the beginning of May with Joe Horschel’s company.
  • Cosmetic Board Update-Peter reported that these boards hide the stucco and the boards are rotted with a flange that is over the board, which is to help divert the rain water from entering the buildings. Peter reported that Ralph has done a wonderful job replacing these and doing a good job with caulking them and sealing the holes found underneath. Peter requested that he bid the buildings that are remaining to replace all the boards and not just the ones that are rotten. Lynn stated that she would get this bid to the Board for the next meeting. To date, buildings 200, 300, 600, and 500 have been completed with repaired boards.  
  • Tree Removal from behind 300 Building/Trimming of Oak and Palm Trees-Peter reported that another visitor has been out to inspect the Oak Trees and he determined that the 6 previous trees that were initially identified behind the 300 building were impacting the buildings and would qualify for removal. We asked him to walk around the complex and he identified 3 trees behind the 200, 500, and 800 building that are impacting and would have no problem granting a permit for removal. He stated that in order to approve a “non-fee” permit, you would have to replace the trees with an “approved tree” planted anywhere on the property. Peter contacted some nurseries and is in the process of getting prices on the approved trees. Peter reminded everyone that West Melbourne took out some trees in 2003 and they did not have to replace trees and as he read the code he would like to inquire more into why they didn’t have to follow this as they are not waived from this. He will try to get an answer to this for everyone. Lynn also stated that she tried to argue that the 12 trees that were just planted within the last year could be used and they denied this as they were not approved trees. Permit is ready to be sent in but can’t send it in until we know what trees will be replacing them. Peter stated that the amount for the trees to possibly replace is estimated at $600 for replacement. Lowe’s will give us a 1-year warranty on death of the tree with replacement. Peter also stated that it needs to be considered as well to have all the trees trimmed at the same time. 
  • Parking/Decal Final Announcement: Towing was included in the newsletter. It was explained that any vehicle parking in front of the buildings without a decal the vehicle will be towed at their expense. April 1st will start the official towing of unregistered vehicles. 
  • Condo Declaration Committee Report: Al reported that they are still on the right path to get something written to amend our documents regarding the rental units. We are now at 48 rentals and Al reported that if the association crosses the 51% in rentals, then the association would lose their ability to maintain their exemption with the county with the pool, which would cause the association to incur a lot of extra fees to comply with the county regulations.  He also spoke on FHA loans not being approved for communities over 20% rentals versus homeowners. The lawyer is drafting an amendment now that will be sent to owners for a final vote later on. 
Manager’s Report
Larsen has agreed to do a Board Certification Class which is a lunch and learn for any homeowner that has a desire to be a Board member. Tentative date is scheduled for March 31st, more to come at a later time. Fire Marshal has passed us completely on the violations. Brighthouse cable upgrades will start March 22nd and management will tape a letter to their door 24-48 prior to entering their units. This work will be for cable outlets to be added, if a unit has only 2 outlets (one in living room and one in master bedroom, then another one will be added in the spare room). Management stated the Board needed to approve an additional amount to cover this expense for Lynn to be onsite every day. Kathie made a motion to approve for management not-to-exceed 80 hours without prior approval for $10 per hour rate. Al seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote. Management will be responsible for checking the units, verify that the outlets needed to be completed, and make sure everything is cleaned up properly. If keys are not turned into the office and no one is home to allow entrance, then a locksmith will be contacted and the homeowner will be financially responsible for that charge.  Maintenance Report for March: Lynn reported from an update from Vance that he has almost completed the painting of all the electrical/phone room doors. 

New Business:

  • Rules and Regulations Amendments Adopted-Lynn reported that the amendment went out with the 2nd notice of the annual meeting packages. There was an amendment dated April 2012 that will replace the section in the Rules regarding the parking. Lynn stated that she would revise the rules and plug this section into and remove the old section and then have copies available in the office and on the website as well. Peter made the motion to adopt the Rules and Regulations as amended. Al seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote. 
  • Annual Meeting Announcement-Lynn announced that the Annual meeting will be held on Saturday, April 7th starting at 10 am at the clubhouse. She reminded all owners to return their proxies even if they are planning on attending. Food and drinks will be donated. 
Owner Input: 

Al asked if security cameras could be looked into for further security. Lynn stated that she would get these bids for the next meeting. The cameras would have to record with wireless capabilities. 

It was requested that management look into the pool water drains and where they are draining to. This will be reported on at the next meeting. 

The next Board Meeting is set for Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm at the clubhouse at Garrett’s Run. In celebration of Peter’s birthday, cake will be served.  
 
Adjournment:
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:20 pm by Kathie Heisey
 
Respectfully Submitted,
Lynn Hiott, CAM #35322 
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.