Back to Garrett's Run Home Page
RDI  HOME

Garrett’s Run Condominium Association
Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting
Wednesday, April 13, 2016 

Call to Order/Establish Quorum of Directors: President Jim Hamilton called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm in the clubhouse at 7900 Greenboro Drive. The new board members for 2016 were introduced: President, Jim Hamilton, and Treasurer: Rosemary Gleason, Secretary/Asst. Treasurer Mary Orr, Director Alicia Ponegalek, and by phone conference Vice President Kathleen Fassler. Lynn Hiott with Reconcilable Differences was also present. Unit owners in attendance were: Kathy Griffith, Rima and Angelo Laviano, Rita Valentino, Peter and Pat Engel, and Tenants Lenora from 617 and Steve/Terry from unit 606. It was announced that the current Board has agreed to allow tenants to attend the Board meetings for informational purpose only, but they are not allowed to speak. 

Approval of the Board Meeting Minutes of March 15th and April 2nd organizational meeting minutes: Lynn explained that these minutes were not ready for approval. It was agreed by all of the Board members to table the approval of these minutes until the next Board meeting. 

Financial/Collections: Lynn reported that the February financials were discussed at the annual meeting, but the March financials have not yet been completed. The financial/collection reports are tabled until the next Board meeting. 

Collections: Tabled until next meeting. 

Unfinished Business: 

  • Building Painting: Orlando Prestige has started the pressure washing and prepping of building 600 as of today. They will continue to move onto building 800 and then to 500. Lynn reminded everyone that notices were posted on each door, along with notices on the bulletin boards of their painting. She reminded owners to please move their vehicles so that no overspray would harm them. She also reminded owners to remove all personal belongings from front stairwells until after the job is completed. 
  • Building 600, 800, 500 Cosmetic Bands update: Mike’s Masonry has completed his repairs on the 600 and 800 building as of today. He will continue his repairs on the 500 building. He is doing a great job on the buildings and all of the Board members seem to be pleased with his work. 
New Business: 
  • Keeping Board at 5 Members: Lynn explained that the Board of Directors has the ability to allow 3-7 members serve on the Board each year. Last year there were 5 seats, therefore the votes this year were to fill the 5 seats. Jim expressed that in his opinion, he felt that having 5 members continue to serve on the Board is beneficial to the community. He stated that with 5 members there is less controversy and things seem to run smoothly. Rosemary motioned to keep the Board of Directors at 5 positions, Mary seconded, and all were in favor. 
  • Rule Revision approval: Lynn explained that the owners received these rule revisions in their annual notice meeting packages. Then at the annual meeting, it was on the agenda so that the owners could discuss these rule revisions. There were no discussions at that time. To officially adopt these rule revisions, the Board must vote on this. Mary motioned to approve the rule revisions as mailed to the owners regarding pool table, grills, clubhouse tv, Wi-Fi, etc to be amended into the current rules and regulations. Alicia seconded, and all were in favor. Lynn will get the Rules and Regulations amended and sent to the webmaster for posting. 
  • Drainage area in front of 200 Building with Island removal: Lynn explained that in front of the 200 building there was an island formed that would not allow the rain water to drain into the drain basin closest to this area. The water was being stopped from adequately draining. In the past, the Board approved the cutting of the islands to make about a 24 inch space for drainage to occur. When this area is cut out, concrete must put down. Mike’s Masonry gave us a proposal for removing 25 feet of curbing, tree roots, dirt, and filling this area with about 2 feet of concrete to allow a swell to drain into the drain basin. There was some discussion from the audience with concerns, but all questions were answered. Alicia motioned to approve this drainage area work ASAP for $1200, to come from the asphalt reserve fund. Rosemary seconded, and all were in favor. 
  • Turf Fertilization Company: Lynn reported that when Bluebell left last year they subcontracted with Black’s Fertilization Company. Black’s left with Bluebell. We hired Precision Grounds and he recommended SWAT for fertilization. SWAT has completed one round of fertilization and it was discussed that they just could not handle the job here and were not communicating with management. Management received bids from several companies. After exploring each of them in depth, Truly Nolen seemed to be the most all-encompassing proposal. There are funds allocated this year for this type of contract, but due to changing companies, the cost is slightly higher than originally calculated. The changes that should be noticeable on the grounds should justify the higher amount by the end of the year. Rosemary motioned to approve Truly Nolen’s contract for fertilization, Alicia seconded, and all were in favor of signing with this vendor. 
  • Committees (Landscaping, Financial, Social, etc.) Lynn explained that committees are needed so that they can concentrate on details in particular areas. The committees are not authorized to make decisions on behalf of the Board of Directors. Committees are designed to brainstorm and report back to the Board with their recommendations. It is completely up to the Board to follow their recommendations. Anyone can be a part of the committee. There were no audience members jumping at volunteering for landscaping, financial or reserve study committees at this time. However, for the Social Committee, tenants came forward and asked to be a part of that committee. Steve and Teresa Barelli were asked to be the Chairmen of the Social Committee and Lenora White volunteered to be a part of this committee. Lynn explained to everyone that the social committee was a great idea to allow the community to come together with events planned. She stated that other associations have strong social groups, which allow the community to share with one another. Lynn suggested that since there were still leftover meats, buns and chips from the annual meeting, the Board agree to allow the social committee to use these items. The Board felt this was a great idea so that these items did not go to waste. Lynn explained to Steve and Teresa that the items being handed over were not enough to completely fund another full cook out party, but there was enough to help out. They were very appreciative of this and decided that Sunday, April 24th from 11-3 they would host a cookout for all to attend with the theme of “Farewell Snowbirds”. They will use a sign-up sheet to obtain number of people and food being brought to share. Lynn agreed to post notices on the clubhouse and bulletin boards and also emailing to those residents she has information on. Lynn made it very clear to everyone that the Social Committee is not funded with association funds. The social committee would have to find ways to build their “kitty fund” to host future parties. The association would help by posting information, but anything purchased for future parties would have to come from that group and not from the association. They asked if bake sales, garage sales, etc., could be done in the clubhouse, and Lynn suggested that they come up with a list of activities, with possible days, etc., and report these to the Board at the next Board meeting. The social committee is a wonderful idea and a great asset for the community, but all parties would be their responsibilities. The three on the committee understood this and agreed to serve on the committee.
Manager Report: None. 

Owner Input: None. 

Set Next Board Meeting: It was agreed that Wednesday, May 25th at 6 pm will be the Board meeting in the clubhouse. 
Adjournment: There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 6:50 pm by Jim Hamilton. 

Respectfully Submitted,
Lynn Hiott, CAM #35322
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.