Back to Garrett's Run Home Page
RDI  HOME

Garrett’s Run Condominium Association 
Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting 
Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Call to Order/Establish Quorum of Directors: President Jim Hamilton called the meeting to order at 12:00 pm in the clubhouse at 7900 Greenboro Drive. No other Board Members present. In attendance by speakerphone: Vice President Elvis Melena, Secretary Ken Snella, Treasurer Norm Young, and Director Alicia Ponegalek. A quorum was established.  Lynn Hiott with Reconcilable Differences was present. Unit owners in attendance were: Kathy Griffith, Paul and Nancy Pelletier, and Theresa Vazquez. 

Approval of the Board Meeting Minutes of July 1st: Alicia made a motion to approve the Board meeting minutes of July 1st, Norm seconded, and all were in favor. Lynn stated that the minutes were approved and will be posted on the website.

Financial/Collections: Lynn reported as of June 30, 2015, the operating account at Sunrise Bank showed a balance of $62,005, but of that amount $15,460 was from prepaid assessments, leaving a balance of $46,544. There is $278,541 in the Reserve Accounts for future repairs. Accounts Receivable are at $80,476 with some owners still owing for sprinkler invoices and many owing for half the 2015 Special Assessment or more. True Foreclosure accounts show total balances of $50,488. The remainder of the receivables, $29,988 is special assessments and sprinkler invoices owed by owners, which should be paid by the end of the year. The current profit and loss statement shows the association under budget by $8,274. Norm made a motion to approve to pay Mike’s Masonry for the work on the decorative Boards for building 400, 700, and 900 from the paint reserves line item. The grand total is $15,300 to be transferred from painting reserves to operating. Elvis seconded, and all were in favor. Lynn reported that the Painting reserve line has $110,731 in the account.

Collections: Lynn reported that there were no big changes to report on. The owner of unit 315 paid the legal fees and the pond light repair invoice from her tenants. We understand that the tenants should vacate by October 15th. Units 902, 906, 207, 214, and 301 have recently sold to new owners. 

Unfinished Business:

  • Building Painting: Lynn reported that she is continuing to work with Jim with C&J Painting, he is on hold until all the decorative boards get replaced or repaired by Mike’s Masonry for buildings 400, which is almost done, 700, and 900. Once these buildings are done with repairs, then painting will begin. 
  • Front Office-Mike’s Masonry cut the wall where the plantar used to be. Elite Pavers was hired to place pavers into this area and seal the pavers for a cost of $900. Alicia made a motion to approve this expenditure and purchase table and chairs up to $600 for this sitting area. Elvis seconded, and all were in favor except Ken who abstained without a reason. 
  • Reserve Study update: Custom Reserves completed the draft study, and Lynn emailed it to all Board members and would like the Board to respond via email to items that need to be changed or worked on. 
  • Stairwell Project: Lynn reported that the Fire Marshal came out and wrote the association up for a few violations regarding the safety of the stairwells. Lynn immediately sent this to NAC to get their help on repairing the ones for the Fire Marshal. NAC and Jim Emory decided to move up the stairwell project to begin August 17th. NAC will begin the repairs with 102/103/108/109; 502/503/508/509; 616/617; 707/708; 612/613, and back of clubhouse. They will be rebuilding these stairwells with new railings. They will not be piece fixing these stairwells, like they were instructed in the past. Once these 6 stairwells are completed, we will re-evaluate where we are financially and if able to move forward with more, the next in line to be repaired are 807/808; 206/218; 106/107; and 701/704. We agreed to allow them to order the railings for all 10 of these due to a lower cost in ordering sets of 10. The additional railings will be stored in the storage area until time to use them. NAC has $95,000 to get as many stairwells done as possible. We will need to try and save another $100,000 for next year’s stairwell project.  Lynn mentioned that the Board really needed to investigate either a loan or a line of credit for the funds to finish the stairwell project this year. If a loan was granted, then payback could be over 5 year period and the payment with the interest rate would be less than another special assessment. Elvis made a motion for management to move forward aggressively for a line of credit or a loan in the amount of $200,000 and to report back to the Board with their findings. Alicia seconded, and all were in favor of gathering information needed for a loan or line of credit. Ken opposed but gave no reason why he opposed. 
  • Clubhouse/Gym Remodel: Alicia and Elvis will be obtaining costs for two flat screen TV’s (one in the gym and one in the Clubhouse), and costs for new machines. They will report back with their findings at the next meeting.
  • Asphalt-this topic is tabled until September where the company will come out and speak with the Board at their meeting.
New Business:
  • Landscape Contract: Jim reported that US Lawns was fired due to them not performing as promised. There were a lot of issues with them spraying weed killer all over the property where it was not needed, not edging properly, and various other issues. Jim agreed to terminate them as of 8/12/15. Management sent a certified letter to them in the middle of July giving them 30 day termination notice. Bernard with Precision Lawns was hired at $2200 a month service fee (Including the trimming of the all the trees within his monthly maintenance amount) and lawn fertilization and pest control will be with SWAT Company. The amount should not exceed the already predetermined budget. Elvis made a motion to ratify this change in landscaping and fertilization contract from US Lawns to Precision Lawns, Alicia seconded and all were in favor. 
  • BUDGET TIME: Lynn reported that a Budget Committee was needed to be arranged and for them to meet and discuss the 2016 Budget. Norm is the chairman, Alicia, Lucia, and Hattie volunteered to be on this committee. They will also try to get Doug if he is still interested. The Committee will meet on Tuesday evenings at 5:30 in the clubhouse. The hope is to have a proposed budget put together to mail to the owners to ask them to vote on “fully funded or partially funded reserves” for 2016. Lynn will work with the committee to get things started. The committee will report to the Board at the September meeting if it is ready to be mailed to the owners.
Manager’s Report: Lynn reported that the Fire Marshal violated the Association on Dryer vent coverings being broken and the vents not being clean. Lynn contacted a dryer vent cleaning company and they agreed to come out and clean all 120 vents, replace the vent coverings for approximately $6,000. Lynn also reached out to the association attorney for advice on whether this was truly an association issue and legal advice stated that it was due to the common walls. So, for the future, the association needs to save about $5,000 for a cleaning of every 2-3 years of all dryer vents. Elvis made a motion to move forward with the cleaning of the dryer vents as they have been violated by the Fire Marshal for the approximate $6,000, Alicia seconded and all were in favor except Ken who opposed with no reason given. 

Owner Input: Owner asked about the downspouts and gutters if they were being cleaned out, Lynn reported that the company Water-tite would be out within the next week to clean all the gutters and downspouts and replace the downspouts that were too small with larger ones. Another owner asked about the stairwell project and if their particular stairwell was on the list. I explained to them that there were another 19 stairwells to be repaired/replaced and the Board was looking into other funding options to move forward with getting them done. 

Set Next Board Meeting: It was agreed that Tuesday, September 15th at 6 pm will be the Board workshop and the Board meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 23rd at noon in the clubhouse.

Adjournment: There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 1:15 pm by Jim Hamilton. 

Respectfully Submitted, 
Lynn Hiott, CAM #35322
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.