Back to Garrett's Run Home Page
RDI  HOME

 

Garrett’s Run Condominium Association
Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting
Wednesday, September 21, 2011


Call to Order/Establish Quorum of Directors: President Kathie Heisey called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm in the clubhouse at 7900 Greenboro Drive. Director Al Fassler attended by speakerphone and Skype. Other Board Members present were: Vice President Peter Engel and Treasurer Hattie Martin. Secretary Marion Geiger was absent.  A quorum was established.  Lynn Hiott with Reconcilable Differences was present. Unit owners in attendance were: Sue Kelly, Pat Engel, Judy Schneider, and Rita Valentine.
 
Approval of the Board Meeting Minutes of August 24 2011: Al Fassler made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Pete Engle seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote. Lynn stated that the minutes would be posted to the website at www.reconcilabledifferences.net within the week. 

Financial Report:

  • Hattie Martin reported that as of August 31st, the operating account at Sunrise bank showed a balance of $51,705.98. Sunrise reserve balance was $218,433.73 in our reserve accounts. Our A/R is $75,102. Prepaid assessments of $19,588.25 with current liabilities of $20,043 for the outstanding checks for the roofs.  Peter made the motion to accept the treasure’s financial reports, Al seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote.
  
Unfinished Business:
    Collections/Legal Update: Lynn reported that she has been working diligently with Clayton & McCulloh. She reported that one account was overpaid a cost deposit but that they were sending this back to the management. Unit 902 is in the final legal stages and within 3 months there should be a final summary judgment issued. Unit 406 and management are working together to go through old paperwork to see where the legal issues came from. If the owner is shown to be in good standings, then Clayton and McCulloh has agreed to dismiss the case, however the association will still be responsible for attorney costs since it has been ongoing since 2007. A board member asked if there was any recourse against the former management company if they were found to be in fault. Lynn suggested that they discuss this with the new attorney. Another unit had a sale date that was cancelled and the sale was finalized and purchased from the bank. The attorney has to wait 14 days before they can send a demand letter to them for payment. Unit 308 accepted the payment plan that was offered and has been abiding by it. Unit 618 has sold and the association received $4,490 for past assessments, $483 on interest, and $375 for late fees, and the new unit owner has begun remodeling the unit. Unit 701 has been making faithful payments on time. Unit 906, the attorney is still working on a Deed-in-Lieu of foreclosure and will only wait 45 days for a response. Unit 108 agreed to a payment plan but has defaulted and will only be given a short time to ratify and if not, the association will proceed with the foreclosure. Unit 603 has had a family member move into the unit and the attorney is going to send the paperwork to them to see if they are willing to make payments, in the mean time the attorney is aggressively moving forward with the foreclosure. All amenity rights have been suspended all accounts more than 90 days past due. A board member asked about the special assessments if all owners have paid these. Lynn reported that there are 4 accounts that are not delinquent on their monthly fees that have not paid the special assessment, but she is working with them to collect this money. If they continue to avoid her phone calls and attempts, then late fees will be assessed
    Re-Roofing Update: Lynn reported that all parties have agreed and signed the amended contract. She will ask the consultant about the painting of the stairwells where the new wood has been replaced. Jason Duff Roofing will be starting on the 500 building as there has been confirmation of a roof leak. After the 500 building is completed, then the 700 building will be the next on the list. To date, he has completed the 800, 300, 100, and 900 buildings. Lynn reported that there was a roofer employee who fell, he had some broken bones, but will take time to recuperate. Lynn stated that she contacted the insurance company to verify that the association would not have any responsibilities with this fall. Jason has agreed to clean all the gutters but not the downspouts. Vance will work on cleaning these out. A board member asked if Jason could give us a bid to remove the downspouts and clean them out and reattach them while he is doing the roof repairs. Lynn stated that she would ask and report back to the board with a cost. 
    Power-washing of buildings/sidewalks: Kathy asked if owners had seen their sidewalks and noticed how clean they are? Vance did a wonderful job on cleaning these and he only has building 100 and 200 sidewalks to complete. The buildings are being inspected now and should begin pressure washing them by mid October. 
    Budget Update: Hattie reported that the committee consists of herself, Jane Hamilton, and Al Fassler. Another volunteer had to resign due to family medical reasons. Hattie stated that they would try to get their first budget meeting by mid October. Lynn recommended that the proposed budget would be to the committee by September 30th to review, and then the board needed to have a board meeting to approve the proposed budget to send to homeowners and within 14 days after this, there would be a budget meeting to approve the final budget. The goal is to have this budget approved by the first week of November so that management has time to order the coupon books and get it sent to the owners. The items that will be voted on is fully funding or partially funding the reserves and a full audit or a review for 2011 of the financials. Hattie will be going out of town and will not return until November 2nd, but has agreed that she could work with the committee members via telephone and emails. 


Managers Report: Lynn reported:

  • Locks on the office door had to be changed due to non-board members having access to the office during non-business hours. All locks have been changed and Lynn has a sheet in the office for the board members to sign out a new key to the office.
  • · Security Deposit for the Clubhouse: In the rules and regulations #17 stated that there was to be a $100 refundable security deposit retained for usage of the clubhouse and a separate $100 fee for the usage. Lynn stated that the $100 was a bit high and suggested to only charge a refundable deposit for damages. Discussion ensued over what has been the rule and what has been followed. This topic is tabled for Lynn to come up with a new agreement and rules to adhere by. She will report this at the next meeting and the board can vote to accept this or not. Some suggestions were to charge the owners only for “Private functions” where they requested a notice be placed on the door so that no owners could access the clubhouse. This would be a charge of $25 up to 30 people and $50 charge for over 31 people. There does need to be a damage deposit and this could vary from $50 to $100 and the board will decide this at the next meeting.  Once this has been decided, Lynn will post this information into the newsletter for all owners to be aware of. 

  • Kendall Towing: They have removed the old trailers and pop up camper that was abandoned in the RV lot. Blue Bell has been working every week to clean this area up at no extra charge to the association. If owners need access to the RV lot, they are to contact the office to fill out an application and there is a $10 fee for the key to the RV lot, which is refundable. Lynn will get these forms onto the website as well. 
    The parking decals have been ordered, and should arrive no later than the end of October. There was a hold on this due Hurricane Irene up north and the flood waters. This information will be in the newsletter as well. The decals will be removable and will need to be applied to the front inside window of their vehicles. This will help in enforcing only 1 vehicle in front of the building per unit; all other vehicles will need to park in the visitor parking area or risk being towed. 
    There was a hot water heater that exploded into the downstairs unit, doing considerable damage. The association is required to cover the drywall expenses. The City of West Melbourne educated the manager on pulling a permit from them for hot water heaters. You MUST go to the City of West Melbourne City Hall and pull a permit to install a hot water heater or an air-conditioner. If you do not comply, they can fine the homeowner up to $250 per day for non-compliance. 
    Management is still getting bids for the restoration of the tennis courts. 
    Management purchased an All-in-One printer for the office; the old one had to retire. This was a cost of $200. 
    AC Drainage Lines: This is not a responsibility of the association, but as a suggestion for preventative maintenance and protecting the drywall damages, Lynn received a bid to clean out all 120 AC drainage lines and repair the pvc pipes that were damaged and going into the ground for $3,600. This line is where the homeowners should be putting a ½ cup of bleach and water down monthly to help keep the lines clear. This topic was tabled for this meeting to gather more information. The board suggested doing a signup sheet and allowing the owners that wanted it done to go in as a group and maybe get a good discount this way. Management will work on this list. This would work in the same way for the dryer vents to be cleaned. 
    A homeowner requested that the board approve an amount to purchase new table and chairs for the outside patio area. Al made the motion to approve a not-to-exceed amount of $500 to purchase new table and chairs, Peter seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote.
    An owner’s son has been repeatedly letting the air out of neighbor’s tires due to them parking in “his spaces”. The cops have been called on numerous occasions and have told the owners that “nothing can be done unless caught in the act or witnessed with proof”. The board suggested writing him a letter explaining the rules and that this behavior would not be tolerated. His vehicle was towed as management witnessed him parking the vehicle illegally blocking the parking spaces to “save” them for no other use. Once the parking decals go into effect, this will help eliminate this problem as owners will only be allowed to have one vehicle in front of the buildings. 
    Lynn read certificates of appreciation for Unit 212 when he volunteered his time to empty the trash cans around the property when there was no maintenance man on payroll and unit 914 for their donation of the new RV lock. Since these homeowners were not at the meeting, management will mail these to them. 
New Business:
  • Painting: Management received two bids for painting of the stairwells, steps, and landings. Peter requested that this be tabled until he can work with Lynn on these bids. The board approved to table at a later date. 
  • Ratify expenses for Beverly Gutheir and pool filters. Peter reported that Beverly was hired as a consultant to assist them in hiring a new management company. She assisted them with the writing of Scope of Work then reviewed it line by line, once ready sent to various management companies, narrowed the results, helped with questions to ask, she was present for all the interviews and then gave the introduction to Reconcilable Differences, the new management company. She was a great asset to the board in helping them find a great management company and a great manager. Her cost was $1900 with a discount given for being members of the Space Coast Condominium Association group. Lynn reported that the pool filters were old and worn out and did not do the correct job in filtering the pool with the chemicals. There are 20 filters to be replaced and this total came to $500. Peter made a motion to ratify the expenses of Beverly and Pool filters, Hattie seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote.
  • Pool exemption from Brevard County: Kathy reported to qualify for this exemption the association had to have in their documents that there was a more than 6-month minimum for rental and this would allow the association to not be under the restrains of the county. The pool will still be taken care of and the chemicals watched, but that the association will not have to do some of the major expense items that the county says has to be done. They would come in once a year to inspect the life saving equipment and the chemicals. This exemption would be for the pool and spa. Peter made the motion to send in the completed forms to become exempt from the County, Hattie seconded the motion and it passed by unanimous voice vote.
Owner Input: 
  • An owner asked if the buildings have been pressure washed and the board replied no this would happen in mid October. 
  • Another owner questioned why we had a lock on the dumpster used for lawn waste. Peter stated that there were issues in the past of people placing garbage in this dumpster and Waste Management would not dump it if it was mixed with the yard waste. Peter had asked management to remove the lock and leave it open for owners, but there was a repeat of garbage being placed in this and so it is locked again. If an owner needs to put yard waste in it, they can contact the office and Vance will unlock for them to use. 

  • An owner asked about the recycling bins and if items had to be separated. Kathy replied that no items have to be separated anymore; they all can be placed together. 
    An owner requested that more work orders be printed and placed in the clubhouse. Management said this would be done, but the work orders are also online to be printed out or they can email their requests to management. 
    Security cameras: Management stated that there were 5 cameras around the property and asked to get bids to update these cameras with possibly a DVR. The board stated this would be something discussed at the next meeting but to go ahead and get bids for this to present. 
    An owner asked where the agendas were posted and management explained that the minutes are posted on the back bulletin board behind the clubhouse and the agendas would be posted on the front bulletin board by the mailboxes. 


Next Board Meeting:
The next Board Meeting is set for Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm at the clubhouse at Garrett’s Run. There will be another meeting before this to approve the proposed Budget to owners, once the date is determined, it would be placed 48 hours in advance on the front bulletin board. 
 
Adjournment:
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:22 pm by Kathie Heisey
 
Respectfully Submitted,
  Lynn Hiott, CAM #35322 
Reconcilable Differences, Inc.